HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED what dying to self means? Here is the best definition that I have seen. I am not sure who wrote it, but based on the content, he or she probably wouldn't want us to know. It would not be "dying to self."
1. When you are forgotten or neglected or purposely ignored and you don’t sting and hurt with the insult or the oversight, but your heart is happy being counted worthy to suffer with Christ; that is dying to self.
2. When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, your opinions ridiculed and you refused to let anger rise in your heart or even to defend yourself, but take it all in patient, loving silence; that is dying to self.
3. When you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity and unpunctuality or any annoyance and you can stand face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, and spiritual insensibility and endure it as Jesus endured it; that is dying to self.
4. When you are content with any food, any offering and raiment, any climate and society, any solitude, any interruption, by the will of God; that is dying to self.”
5. When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation or to record your own good words or itch after commendation, when you can truly love to be unknown, that is dying to self.
6. When you can see your brother prosper and have his needs met and can honestly rejoice with him in spirit and feel no envy nor question God, while your own needs are far greater and in desperate circumstances; that is dying to self.
7. When you receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself and can humbly submit inwardly aw well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment, wise enough within your heart; that is dying to self.”